Monday, March 26, 2012

Forgetting, Straining, and Pressing

Memory Verse Monday -
Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
(Philippians 3:13-14 ESV)
Perfect...been studying this verse during the past week, dwelling on it...
In one of our recent week's study, the analogy was made to a runner, having to look just in front to the next marker. Obviously, looking back will only slow me and trip me up; looking too far ahead can be overwhelming and appear out of reach - impossible. Looking just ahead to the next "short" goal is manageable. There are victories along the way to celebrate. I can walk - or run - in step with my Savior until I reach the goal! Good practice for "half marathon" training, for weight loss work, and for life.

Lord, 
Help me to forget my past - 
     ...the failures that make me fearful to try 
     ...the successes that make me complacent and stagnant.
Help me to live in the present, 
     ...seeing the work you have for me now.
Help me to welcome the future plans you have for me and my family and trust you as I wait and watch.


No comments: