Saturday, July 14, 2012

I Press On

"I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."  (Philippians 3:14 ESV)
While on vacation last week, I picked up my Bible Study that I had ignored since we decided to take a break from the Ladies' LIFE Group I have led for the last 6 years - almost without a break. I have been spending much time in prayer and discussion with my hubby regarding God's desire for my life, my service, my gifts and talents. Having studied His Word for the last 17 years, I know in my heart that He has a plan in all of the changes in my life and will use the events of the last year or so for my good and His glory. It doesn't necessarily make dealing with the disappointment, hurt and frustration any easier.

As He always does, He gave me just what I needed from His Word to encourage me:
"Abraham...Moses...Samuel...David...Paul...John...
The list of God's people who pressed on toward God's purposes and served the Lord until the end of their lives goes on and on. At one time or another during the race, each of the men of faith just mentioned had a valid reason to quit. People told them 'No!' God told them 'No!' to something they wanted. Circumstances seemed to scream 'No!' to their personal desires. Yet not one of them quit, resigned, or retired. They knew they hadn't finished the race, that there was more work to be done, that their purpose wasn't fulfilled, and that God had other plans for them and could still use them. They knew that by God's grace they could make a difference for His kingdom right up until the day they left this earth and went to be with Him. They pressed on." ~ Loving God with All Your Mind, Elizabeth George
 My spirit was so lifted and my heart encouraged as I read and studied. It confirmed the conclusions my hubby and I had come to. I was so overwhelmed by God's presence and love, that my emotions released and tears welled up to overflowing.

With a new sense of purpose, hope and joy, "I press on toward the goal!" and allow God to use circumstances in my life to conform me to the image of His Son, Jesus Christ. Yup, it's all about Jesus!



God's grace to me:
* A vacation from routine to get refreshed, refocused, renewed
* A family that is flexible with plans
* A young friend sensitive and caring enough to ask, "Is everything ok?"
* Forever friends who are always there for us - especially when we make less than stellar decisions
* A card from a friend to encourage me, arriving at just the right time
* A Bible Study that has ministered to me in ways I would have never imagined


Thank you, Lord Jesus, for loving me, for walking with me, for never leaving me, for knowing and providing just what I need when I need it most. Help me serve you with joy until you call me home. Help me love people like you love them - especially when I don't "feel" like loving.  It's all about You, Lord Jesus. You are truly all that I need. Amen.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Sounds like you found a great study. Miss you!