Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Ingredients for a Delicious Life!

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28 ESV)
This is the verse of the week - one stored in my heart for many years. A truth that has carried me through many challenges over the years, and yet, still as fresh and encouraging as it was the first time God proved it true in my life.


I know it's true today, and am confident God is at work in my life and in the lives of those I love...for our good and His glory. 


I love the illustration in my study. I've heard similar, but since I'm a chocoholic, this one I can relate to:
"- Begin with bitter chocolate.- Stir in some dry, tasteless flour.
- Add several raw eggs and some sour milk.
- Mix these and several more ingredients thoroughly.
- Bake in a hot oven.
- The end result: a (YUMMY) chocolate cake. Now think about your life - the bitter, the dry, the raw, the sour, the mixing, and the heat. Sounds bad, doesn't it? And it fdeels bad when it's happening! But in God's hands, these things - these unpleasant and uncomfortable and unlovely elements and components of life - will result in something good." ~ p. 177-178 Loving God with All Your Mind, Elizabeth George (my paraphrase)
So, when I write that I'm dealing with "disappointment, hurt and frustration", don't think I'm angry. I'm just missing all those good things that have slipped away: those good times I remember, and good people I cherish. It's those good close relationships that are changing. It's all those very good things that I am thankful for having experienced in my life over the years. It's because of God's abundant blessings in my life (and in the lives of others) that I am where I am in life, today: New jobs, careers, cities to live in, college to experience, new challenges, new fellowships, new opportunities.


But...I am also very excited for what God has in store for the next chapter. The page is turning slowly, but it's turning and I "can't wait" to see what the author of my life is going to write on those next pages.  God is working it all out!


I heard this song today, after I had written this blog last night. Today was one of those days...I'm feeling like everything I touch just falls apart, breaks, fails...So good to know He's always there to Steady my Heart"...


Lord,
I love the ways you steadied my heart, today:

  • Much needed rain showers that stopped long enough for me to jump out and get a signature.
  • Meeting and chatting with a "down to earth" executive.
  • The floppy windshield wiper - and a short way to drive. It made me start my day laughing. 
  • Laughing with the young (& cute) security guards. They remind me to take myself lightly and enjoy the moment.
  • Being "harassed" by fun co-workers.
  • A "10 minute chat" with my sister before leaving the grounds that turned into at least a half hour - maybe longer. I lose track of time when I'm with her. <3  :)
  • A song that I connect with after "one of those days".
  • A quick, simple dinner.
  • The promise of a walk.

"What's good and what gets broken happens just the way that You plan" 
Thanks for the reminder!

No comments: