Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Empty Nesters Unite!

Four women gathered in my gazebo Saturday morning with beverages in hand hoping to find encouragement in the shared experiences and struggles navigating this transitional time in our lives - launching our children. It was an interesting foursome, ladies from different parts of my life finding connections in unexpected shared acquaintances and shared experiences.
.
.
.
After everyone else had departed, one gal asked what I had taken away from our time together. She was concerned that as host, I lacked opportunity to share. Not a chance! I never have a problem speaking up, ;-) and I loved listening to the conversation between these women.

My take-aways:

1) No "Cheats" Here - Whether our children live far away or under the same roof - it's tough navigating a new role in parenting: It's tough setting boundaries for our adult children, while being supportive.
2) Great Idea! Work on a shared project together even though we may be miles apart. It can give us something positive to talk about during our phone conversations or times together.
     *work on the same knitting/crocheting pattern. How fun it would be to show off the finished product to each other. Of course, I would make sure there was a picture of us with our projects. :)
     *go through the same devotional and share what God is teaching you.
     *read and discuss a book.
     *try out a new recipe and share the results, modifications, suggestions. (Both my kids enjoy sharing their cooking adventures and Chad loves to share his own recipes; it gives me a window on his world.)
4) Gratitude. Focusing on the positive and thanking God helps our outlook and attitude. Philippians 4:8-9
5) He's got to be enough. So... the kids are gone; enjoy the new found freedom of being a couple, again. I love this part of the empty nest! ;-)
5) Finally, Get over it! It's not about me. "I often think I'm the "Queen Bee" and the world should revolve around me"... or perhaps at least  "a Princess"? LOL! Reality check, please!

Thank you, Lord, for the precious women in my life. Thank you for kindred spirits. the traveling companions you've given me along this journey. Thank you for true friendships.

No comments: