Sunday, January 31, 2010

Chick Flick Night

Last night we held our Ladies' LIFE Group reunion - a "Chick Flick" Night. I was looking for a movie about women's relationships and was trying to steer clear of romantic type movies, since most of us are married. I originally picked "Steel Magnolias", but after fielding some objections raised by a scathing moral review, I decided to choose a different movie so that no one would be offended. Have you ever tried to find a movie that is acceptable to a group of women from varying backrounds and at different life stages? I watched more movies in the last two weeks, than in the last two years combined. Here are some of the titles I reviewed:

Miracle in the Woods 
Hidden Places
Love Comes Softly
Sense and Sensibility
The Ultimate Gift
Come What May

They were good movies, but not what I was looking for in a "Chick Flick". The movie that was most recommended as a good "Chick Flick" from outsiders, and even by some of the ladies in the group, was "Pride and Prejudice" with Kiera Knightly. That is what I settled on. It is definitely a chick flick - Craig would have very little interest in sitting through it.

I have not had much interest in historical fiction because I am not a big history fan, and I can't really relate. I did enjoy the movie, and realized as the movie played on, I had actually seen it before! My favorite parts of the movie - the balls, where there was formal dancing. I would have loved them! The end where Elizabeth is talking to her father about her love for Mr. Darcy. It was very much like my conversation with my father.

Of the two Jane Austin titles, I actually liked "Sense and Sensibility" better. I think I will watch it again. :)

The best part of the night was visiting with my friends before and after the film. It was great to catch up with the ladies in the other group and ladies who can no longer attend due to current circumstances. The evening fufilled it's purpose and that is to maintain our connection and friendships as women.

Adding to my list of gifts:

331. Women friends - to laugh, cry, pray, and rejoice with.

332. A friend recognizing that I needed prayer, stopping everything to pray for my immediate need. Thank you! Your prayer made a difference.

333. A special young man willing to "babysit" three active boys so that a young mom was able to fellowship with the ladies. What a blessing you are!

And this morning,

334. Finding a reasonable plane fare to FL for my sister-in-law with departure within the week.

Lord,

Keep me humble under your mighty hand. Help me to cast all my anxieties on you, because I know that you care for me. Help me to be sober-minded and watchful. My adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Help me to resist him, firm in the faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by my "brothers" throughout the world. I trust that you, the God of all grace, who has called me to eternal glory in Christ, will restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish me.

With all my heart,
Cheryl

No comments: