Thursday, October 15, 2009

Fiery Hot and Freezing Cold!

I have been waiting a long time to try this recipe, mostly because I couldn't find soy beans - dried soy beans - ANYWHERE! Well, I finally found them at Whole Foods in Rochester. I love going in that store; I could spend hours there - and spend WAY too much money on all the interesting things I find.

But, back to my recipe. It's called, "Mexican Mix" so you'd think it would use Mexican type ingredients such as green chilies and chili powder, but it has ingredients I would expect in Italian and Asian dishes, too: oregano, garlic, and tamari soy sauce...Although very tasty, it was HOT, HOT HOT! FIRE HOT! I thought I was turning into a fire-breathing dragon.

Mexican Mix

6 cups water
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup soybeans
1 cup whole grain wheat
1 onion, chopped
1 cup chopped green chilies (1/2 cup would probably do!)
1 tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp each: cumin, oregano, garlic powder, & cayenne pepper
2 tbsp. tamari soy sauce
2 cups stewed tomatoes

Soak beans and wheat overnight. Simmer and cook for 3-4 hours. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer until beans and wheat have reached desired tenderness. (I used a crock pot all day!)

This was the perfect dinner to warm me after freezing at Tina and Wendy's garage sale. I drove up to Lapeer just to visit with my friends, but walked away with merchandise totaling...well, let's just say that I need to find a part time job to pay for my goods! (A couple days at the farm, scooping ice cream should do it.) The deals on scrapbooking supplies were just too good to pass up, and I found some pens that I have been looking for; I can't find them ANYWHERE!

Now, I'm off to curl up in my afgahn on the comfy couch to read, "Barbara & Susan's Guide to the Empty Nest: Discovering New Purpose, Passion & Your Next Great Adventure". (I'll hurry to catch up with you, Tina!)

1 comment:

Angela Baylis said...

Hey, Cheryl! I LOVE your blog! I started one a couple of years ago after hearing about Beth Moore's blog. http://ivingproofministries.blogspot.com. Do you know of her? She is AMAZING and my very favorite Bible study teacher! Do you know what? I don't believe in coincidences. I believe God meant for us to find each other tonight! He is SO good!
Love,
Angie xoxo