Friday, November 26, 2010

A Different Thanksgiving and Black Friday

This year, Craig and I spent Thanksgiving at the home of  friends and with their extended family. We were not the only "orphaned" family they took in this Thanksgiving.

My character and thankful attitude was challenged on several occasions - yet, I still praise His name!

440.  Failed pie crusts are just a cup of flour an a little shortening - thankful it's easy to start again, and thankful for the www. to figure out what went wrong! (I've made dozens of pies, so I was stumped!) Could it be the old, old flour?

441.  Pumpkin pie mix spewing out of the base of my blender splattering everything within a square foot area. I had checked the seal but failed to see the huge crack through the plastic blade mount. *sigh*  I guess it served me well for the last 25 years. I'm thankful it's easy and inexpensive to replace, and I now have something on my Christmas list. :)

442.  "Helping" Craig carry in our food, only to spill turkey juice down the front of me before we got to the house. Thankful that a little water and rag got it out, though it was a little sticky when it dried.

443.  Being unbelievably embarrassed in front of a roomful of people I had just met by something I had no control over. Nothing like a BIG dose of humility and being thankful to be an adult and not a teenager. Some day I'll get over it and may even be able to laugh about it.  :-/

444.  Thankful for gracious hosts and the opportunity to meet and get to know some new people.

445.  Thankful for phones and phone calls from my kids. And thankful they miss being with me- almost as much as I miss being with them.

446.  Calling our very best neighbors ever and having a long conversation to catch up. We'll never forget them even though they live across the country. It's still fun talking to them and we're so thankful for the impact they had on our young family.

447.  Spending the day scrapbooking and visiting with my sister, thankful I was not out navigating the crowded streets, parking lots, and stores. Just being with her is the BEST! (But I actually accomplished something, too.)

Sometimes, you don't appreciate things until you don't have them, anymore. I have always been thankful for my family, but never so aware of the void they fill as this Thanksgiving when we weren't able to be together.

This may shape future Thanksgivings...

1 comment:

Angie said...

I've always had a heart for orphans...:) Glad we could share the day together!